2017 Quiz 5 – Your Call
By Bruce Maurer
This week’s Your Call is prepared by Dave Ramsey in association with Beau Rugg and Dr. Bruce Maurer. Click here to view a PDF of the quiz along with the answers.
1. A, 1st & 10 @ A’s 35 YL. Quarterback A10 runs to the A’s 38 YL then retreats back to the A 33 YL. He throws a pass that is caught by eligible A88 at the A 48 YL. Any penalty here?
2. QB A22 takes the snap and drops back to pass. Under a heavy rush he scrambles toward the LOS. His passing arm and one of his feet are beyond the NZ when a forward pass is thrown to eligible A89. Any fouls?
3. A1 throws a legal forward pass to A5, who is behind the LOS and who then throws another forward pass to A11, who advances the ball for a first down.
4. At the snap, interior lineman A66 moves 3 yards downfield and finding no one to block, retreats behind the NZ and blocks for A2 who eventually throws a forward pass which crosses the neutral zone.
5. During a forward pass play in which the ball crosses the neutral zone, A88, an ineligible receiver (covered up), is illegally downfield and B44 illegally contacts him with an elbow (personal foul).
6. Quarterback A14 drops back and throws a forward pass toward the SL to A25 who is behind the NZ. B1 blocks A25 behind the line prior to A25 touching the ball.
7. A11 or B11 is in a position to catch or intercept a forward pass beyond the NZ. An opponent, who is in the vicinity, turns his back to the ball. The opponent directs his attention to A11 or B11 and waves his arms to block the vision of the potential receiver or interceptor but does not make contact.
8. A, 3rd & 3 @ B’s 5 YL. Since the LOS is inside the + 10 YL, how should the HL and LJ react to a run between the tackles toward the GL?
9. A, 2nd & 9 @ A’s 40 YL. Half back A10 receives a handoff and sweeps toward the HL’s SZ/SL. What should be the mechanic for the HL and the LJ?
10. Prior to the start of a varsity game the VT brings their footballs to the official’s locker room for approval. The U finds the footballs meet all Rule 1-3 requirements but they feel a little “ tacky “. No foreign substance is suspected or found on these footballs. Can the R approve the footballs?