2017 Quiz 4 – Rules Geek
By Bruce Maurer
This week’s Rules Geek is prepared by Jerry Peters in association with Beau Rugg and Dr. Bruce Maurer. Click here to view a PDF of the quiz along with the answers.
1. :12 remaining in the 4Q. B is leading by 2 points. Runner A10 runs OOB. The LJ asks B’s HC if he wants to start the GC on the RFP.
2. A, 3/10 @ B’s 40 YL. On a scrimmage play A1 changes direction and A81 approaches B51. B51 turns and see’s A81 coming. A81 lowers his shoulder and blocks B51, the block on A81 knocking him to the ground. The U throws his flag for an blindside block.
3. K, 4/10 @ K’s 30 YL. After K3’s punt R21 runs onto the field. He doesn’t realize he is the RT’s 12th man on the field. R21 blocks K43. R80 catches the punt @ RT’s 30 YL and returns it to K’s 10 YL. The HL throws a flag for illegal participation on R21. The Crew enforces this as a loose ball foul from the previous spot and gives K a 1st down and awards K a new series @ K’s 45 YL.
4. A, 3/10 @ B’s 25 YL. After A10 runs OOB he is hit by B40. A10 immediately pushes B40. B31 then curses at A10. The HL throws flags for the dead ball DB late hit on B40 and the DB foul on A10. The BJ throws a flag for UNS on B31. The Crew offsets all DB fouls.
5. A, 3/20 @ B’s 40 YL. A14’s pass is airborne. Before the R completes yelling “Balls Away” B55 hits A14 in the head with the crown of his helmet. A80 catches the pass at B’s 34 YL and is then downed at B’s 30 YL. The R throws a flag for roughing the passer. The Crew enforces the penalty from the previous spot, resulting in B, 3/5 @ B’s 25 YL.
6. After an enforced penalty, K1 is free kicking (KO) from K’s 20 YL. :10 remain in the 4Q with K leading by 2 points. K1 falls as he kicks the ball which causes the kick to be high and short. R1 signals fair catch at K’s 37 YL. R2 catches the kicked ball. K’s HC informs the officials he wants to attempt a free kick after fair catch. The R informs the HC he has the right to choose this.
7. A, 3/10 @ A’s 20 YL. A16 throws an interception to B35 @ A’s 40 YL. B35 runs for a TD. Prior to the interception A67 holds B75. After the interception and before B35 crosses A’s GL. B59 is flagged for an illegal block in the back @ A’s 30 YL. The Crew offsets the 2 live ball fouls and replays the down.
8. On a pass play where the QB drops back and throws a forward pass the U moves forward to the LOS.
9. Host management informs the Crew that both teams will use a common entrance/exit to the field. The Crew states that this is host management’s responsibility to deal with the teams.
10. On the last timed down of the 4Q A scores a TD and makes the score B21-A20. On the successful Try-Kick for 1 point B is flagged for UNS. The R informs K they cannot carry over the penalty to OT.