2017 Quiz 1 – Rules Geek
By Bruce Maurer
This week’s Rules Geek is prepared by Jerry Peters in association with Beau Rugg and Dr. Bruce Maurer. Click here to view a PDF of the quiz along with the answers.
1. To start the game the BJ hands the ball to K1. K1 places the ball on the tee for the kickoff on the home side HM on K’s 40 YL. The BJ runs to his position and just before he raises his hand to the R, K’s HC tells K1 to move the ball to the other side of the field.
2. K1 kicks off from their 40 YL and the kicked ball goes OOB untouched at the RT’s 40YL. The LJ throws his flag. The R gives the RT the option of a 5 yard penalty and have K re-kick or to take the ball 25 yards from the previous spot — RT’s 35 YL).
3. K1’s attempts an onside kick. R1 comes in and blocks K2 into the kicked ball at K’s 48 YL. The ball is recovered by R2 at R’s 48 YL. The R signals first touching by K at K’s 48 YL and gives the RT the option of taking the ball at K’s 48 YL.
4. K1’s free kick is airborne and near the SL at R’s 29 YL. R1 catches the kicked ball near the SL with one of his feet OOB. The R signals OOB on the RT and gives the RT the ball at RT’s 29 YL.
5. K1’s free kick is grounded and muffed by R2 @ R’s 18 YL. K2 recovers the muff and advances it for a TD.
6. After an enforced penalty, K1 is free kicking from their 20 YL. Ten seconds remain in the 4Q with K leading by 2 points. K1 falls as he kicks the FB which causes the kick to be high and short. R1 signals fair catch at K’s 37 YL. R2 catches the kicked ball. K’s HC informs the officials he wants to attempt a free kick after fair catch. The R informs the HC he has the right to choose this.
7. R1 catches K1’s free kick at R’s 45 YL. He then runs 4 yards, stops, and gives a fair catch signal with his hand high above his head. He realizes the K players are slowing and he takes off running. The BJ blows the play dead as he throws his flag. The BJ throws a flag and informs the R the penalty is for an invalid fair catch signal and the crew enforces this as a PSK foul at R’s 45 YL.
8. After a play that ended near the SL the U goes to the nearest HM and waits for the R/BJ to shuttle the FB into him/her.
9. After arriving a TV crew comes in the locker room and states they would like the R to wear a microphone that is only heard by the viewing audience. The R is already wearing a stadium microphone. The R agrees to use the 2 microphones.
10. Prior to a freshmen game the HC tells the Crew that he and the VT HC have agreed to play 8 minute quarters during the game. The Crew tells them freshmen games are required to be 10 minutes.