2016 Quiz 4 – Rules Geek
By Bruce Maurer
This week’s Rules Geek is prepared by Jerry Peters in association with Beau Rugg and Dr. Bruce Maurer. Click here to view a PDF of the quiz along with the answers.
1. A, 3/3 @ B’s 15 YL. Prior to the snap B is flagged for illegal substitution for having 12 players on the field. A second later A1 is flagged for UNS for cursing an opposing player. The R signals both fouls and announces these DB fouls will offset.
2.K, 4/10 @ K’s35 YL. K1’s punt is high; R1 waves his hand at his waist for a fair catch at R’s 30YL. The BJ (or U in 4 man) throws his flag. After R1 catches the ball @ R’s 25 YL the BJ sounds his whistle. R1 then takes off running. The BJ throws a second flag for delay of game. The R signals both invalid fair catch and delay of game on R1. The R explains to the HC that he can only choose one of the live ball fouls.
3. A, 3/15 @ B’s 40 YL. A1 throws the ball away into the stands as time expires in the 4Q. The R and HL confer and decide no receiver was in the area. The R drops a flag at the spot where A1 released the ball. The R signals and announces intentional grounding on A1 and the period will be extended for one untimed down.
4. A, 3/10 @ B’s 15 YL. A1’s forward pass is tipped by B1. Ineligible A2 catches the pass beyond the NZ and advances for a TD. The U throws a flag on A2 for illegal touching. The R signals illegal touching and loss of down.
5. K, 4/10 @ K’s 45 YL. K1’s punt is high and deep. R1 jumps to catch the punt and it hits him on top of his helmet at R’s 10 YL and rolls toward R’s GL. R1 attempts to pick up the ball and muffs the ball into R’s EZ. The ball rolls across R’s GL. K3 recovers the ball in R’s EZ. The BJ signals TD for K.
6. A, 2/4 @ B’s 45 YL. B has a player come on to the field as a substitute when the R sounds the RFP. As the BJ (U in 4 man) raises his hand for the final 5 seconds of the PC he counts B and realizes B still has 12 players on the field. The BJ throws a flag for illegal substitution on B. The R explains to the BJ that team B has until the snap to have only 11 players on the field.
7. A, 2/1 @ B’s 4 YL. B2 enters the field and is running to get on his team’s side of the NZ. B2 is at B’s 10 YL when A snaps the ball. The LJ sounds his whistle and signals encroachment on B2.
8. During a run play the HL tries to keep up with a ball carrier as the play comes toward his SZ.
9. During a pass play the HL throws a flag when he realizes he has no receiver in his area then signals intentional grounding to the R.
10. An official purchases and wears a pair of black shorts with a 1” white stripe on the sides.