2016 Quiz 3 – Your Call
By Bruce Maurer
This week’s Rules Geek is prepared by Dave Ramsey in association with Beau Rugg and Dr. Bruce Maurer. Click here to view a PDF of the quiz along with the answers.
1. During the down, player A4 is noticed to have a clear tooth and mouth protector that is covering the upper, front teeth only. The U drops a flag for illegal equipment.
2. A has linedup for a FG attempt. A’s linemen have been shifting from a twopoint stance to a threepoint stance prior to the snap the entire game. After shifting to their threepoint stance for this attempt B 60 lineman feints a charge which causes A lineman 59 and 69 to start before the snap. Would we have a false start on A or a unsportsmanlike foul on B?
3. B1 intercepts A1’s pass at B’s 4 YL and retreats (no momentum ruling) to B’s EZ where B1 is grabbed by the face mask by A2 who twists the mask. B1 then fumbles while in the EZ and the ball rolls back into the field of play and then goes OOB at B’s 2 YL.
Note on play 3: Even though the foul is declined the Flagrant Foul & DQ can not be declined.
4. During the last timed down of the 4th period, A scores a TD & the score is nowA 13–B14. RT21 roughs the kicker/holder during K’s successful Try Kick.
5. During the last timed down of the first half, A1 retreats into his own EZ to attempt a pass, but he is downed there. During the down there is holding in the EZ by A2.
6. A, 3/4 @ A’s 20YL. A7 runs with the ball to the A 29 YL where B43 attempts to tackle A7. A7 extends his left hand and grasps and pulls the facemask of B43’s helmet which comes completely off. B43 completes the tackle. Must B43 leave the game for one play?
7. A, 3/G @ B’s 3 YL. A19 takes the snap, runs to his right and fumbles after being hit by several B players at the B 2 YL. The FB rolls into the B EZ and is recovered by B51 who is tackled in the EZ. After B51 recovers the ball, but before he is tackled, B77 holds A60 at the B 6 YL.
8. During the CT prior to the game, the VT wins the toss and chooses to defer to the second half. The R turns to the Press Box and signals that the VT will defer. Before the R can ask the HT what their choice will be, the VT captain asks to change his choice.
9. A, 4/7@ B’s 20 YL. A decides to attempt a FG. The attempt is (a) faked or (b) the attempt is kicked but short of the GL. The BJ and U should both go the GL in both (a) and (b)?
10. The VT school band plays too long which delays the start of the second half. Both teams are ready to play except a band being on the field.