2015 Quiz 11 – Rules Geek
By Bruce Maurer
This week’s Rules Geek is prepared by Jerry Peters in association with Beau Rugg and Dr. Bruce Maurer. Click here to view a PDF of the quiz along with the answers.
1. A, 2/5 @ B’s 30 YL. A1’s pass is intercepted by B1. While A1’s pass was in flight B2 was flagged for defensive pass interference (DPI). After the interception the BJ blows his whistle inadvertently.
2. A1 scores a TD on a long pass. On the Try K’s ball boy hands another ball (“kicking ball”) to the LJ to bring in for the Try kick.
3. A, 1/10 @ A’s 20 YL. During a run play at A’s 40 YL the HL collides with one of B’s assistant coaches in the restricted area, the HL throws his flag. A1 is downed at B’s 35 YL. The R gives signal 38 (personal foul) and signal 27 (UNS) and the crew marks the penalty off from the spot of the foul.
4. A, 3/6 @ B’s 45 YL. B1’s helmet comes completely off during an attempt to tackle A2. B1 remains in contact with A2 and A2 drags B1 3 yards before going to the ground. The U throws a flag on B1 for illegal participation for continuing to participate after his helmet came off.
5. A, 3/15 @ A’s 45 YL. A1 is involved in close line play with B1. A1’s helmet comes completely off as the play continues downfield without being caused by a foul by any B player. A1 continues downfield but does not touch anyone throughout the remainder of the play. The LJ sees A1 continue downfield without his helmet and doesn’t throw a flag since he did not participate in any contact.
6. After A1 crosses B’s GL. He immediately raises the ball in the air for a second. He stops and crosses his chest with one hand and points to the sky with the other hand briefly. He then looks into the stands and gives the “feed me” (like a spoon into his mouth motion) and pounds his chest.
7. Two upright opposing players start to throw punches at each other. The U gets between them and pushes them away from each other.
8. After a penalty the calling official runs 10 steps to get closer to the R to yell the foul, give the signal and tell the number of the offending player.
9. The passer is tackled, the R determines his passing arm was going forward at the time he was tackled and it’s ruled an incomplete pass. The R only gives the incomplete pass signal (2X).
10. During a wet weather game A’s HC sends in his composite game balls to be checked before the game instead of his leather game balls. The U tells the host management the game balls must be leather and not a rubber composite ball.